Saturday 17 March 2018

Feasting Friday - Later than Ever!

I'm so good at keeping a blog updated.

Which is a shame, because my culinary life has been banging like a school trip in a drum shop.

Top of the list is the discovery that my wife loves curry. Or at least, coconutty curry that's not too coriander heavy. A friend cooked us the Prawn Malabar recipe in Camellia Panjabi's 50 Great Curries of India and she has since demanded I cook it twice.The first went a little awry due to too much heat and not enough salt. The second, I probably cut the tomatoes too big and again not enough salt... but really good.

My own personal attempt at playing mad scientist is trying to do a Pork and Apple stir fry. The flavours go well together. They share some great complimentary flavours that go great in a stir fry in ginger and cinnamon. Stir fries need some crunch, which apple can provide. Go number one has not quite done what I've wanted, but has made an admirable sweet and sour stir fry. I wished I'd added some chilli to it, and maybe doing a quick half-pickle of the apples isn't the way to go as they totally lost their texture, but it's pretty good. I'll try repeating and refining the sweet and sour version and noting down the recipe at some point this weekend.

There hasn't been too much home cooking as we've eaten out far, far too much. Highlights include:

Wahaca's chorizo and potato quesadilla. I've had this one every time I've gone there and it is the absolute highlight dish there - creamy, smoky and just the right amount of crunch, give and chew.

Pandan Roll from Chinatown Bakery. I've no idea how it's so light and airy, and apparently I really like the taste of Pandan. Most of Chinese sweet baking seems too heavy to me, but this is heavenly.

The Jerk Dub Fries from Sub Cult. Like, what the actual bleeeeeeep. I'm a fan of the idea of loaded fries, but this is the first time I've seen anyone really really nail it. Perfectly crisp chips, lovely soft pork shoulder, and tons of jerk sauce is how loaded fries should be. Dayum.

And that's it for now. Back to the writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment